Click here to download the PDF Visa Process.
The visa process can seem somewhat intimidating when going to school in a foreign country! We’ve put together some answers to your questions below with some tips to help you as you apply. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any more questions we can help you with! Who needs a student visa? If you’re studying at MEU, you will need a student visa.
How can I get a student visa? After you have been accepted as a student and gotten academic and financial clearance, you will be put in touch with Mr. Larry Barkanian, our liaison for visas. He will walk you through the process.
Can I live off campus as an international student? No. When we accept you, we tell the government we are fully responsible for you. This means you need to live on campus.
Can I travel outside Lebanon with my student visa? Yes, but you are responsible to make sure your student visa is valid and that you have the necessary visas for any countries you will be visiting.
Student visas can only be applied for in Lebanon in September. If you enter Lebanon any other time, you will enter on a tourist visa which will then be converted to a student visa or student permit depending on the time of year.
1. Check with your Lebanese embassy to see if you need to apply for a tourist visa before traveling to Lebanon. If you do, go to step 2. If you don’t, go to step 3.
2. If you need a tourist visa before you travel to Lebanon, you will need to apply at your Lebanese embassy. We will be happy to help provide documents that you may need for the visa interview, but you will be responsible for the process. Helpful websites include http://www.generalsecurity.gov.lb/en/posts/38 and http://www.lebanontourism.com/travelertools/visa.asp
3. If you don’t need a tourist visa before you travel to Lebanon, you can get one when you arrive at the Beirut airport. When entering the passport control, go to the Bank Exchange or Tourist Visa section and pay $37 for a stamp. Then get in the line that says Visas and the officer will put the stamp in your passport.
4. Your tourist visa will most likely say one (1) month (unless you applied for a three (3) month visa at the Lebanese embassy before traveling). Please note that even if the visa says one (1) month, you are legally permitted to stay in the country up to three (3) months. During this time, we will apply for your student visa/permit.
5. We will contact you when it is your turn to convert your tourist visa to a student visa/permit. You will need to bring three (3) passport photos, your passport, and a photocopy of your visa.
6. The process will take three (3) to five (5) months, due to the heavy influx of immigration in Lebanon. During this time, your passport will be held at the General Security so you cannot travel outside the country. Your student permit is valid for one year from the date it was applied on, so if it takes 5 months to come then you have 7 months left before you have to apply for a new one. The student permit is renewed every year.
7. You will need to purchase a return ticket for exactly three (3) months after arriving in Lebanon. Make sure the return date can be changed after your visa has been converted to a student one.
• Your passport must be valid for at least one (1) year.
• Nationals of Arab countries but non-G.C.C. (Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Comoros Island, Ghana, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia, and Yemen) need to bring a $2,000 USD deposit when they enter the country. Please confirm with your Lebanese embassy.
• If you need to apply for a tourist visa to enter Lebanon, you are responsible for making the necessary arrangements through your Lebanese embassy.
• If you are applying from outside the country in September for a student visa, you will need to send our liaison a scanned copy of your high school diploma and a clear scanned passport copy.
• We recommend you request an invitation letter from MEU that you can bring to your visa appointment at the Lebanese embassy or show at the airport if you get your visa upon entry. An invitation letter is prepared after you have received financial clearance and sent to you by email. You will need to provide your passport details and specific arrival/departure dates and will then receive a scanned, signed and sealed invitation letter. This invitation letter is required for students who must bring the $2,000 USD deposit with them. Please print a copy and have it on hand at the airport if the officer asks for details at your arrival.
• Be sure you bring Mr. Larry Barkanian’s mobile number (we will send it to you) and MEU’s physical address with you. You will need to write down the physical address on the white entry card that is distributed in the airplane before you land. General Security may check this address later. MEU’s physical address is :
Middle East University
75 Ferdous Street Sabtieh, Beirut
Phone: +961-01-685 800
*Fees are approximate depending on exchange rate.
**Processing fees vary depending on the individual.
Irrespective of your nationality, please verify visa requirements with your Lebanese embassy before traveling. A return ticket is a must for all categories.
Can get visa upon arrival but must bring $2,000 USD and an invitation letter when entering the country
Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Comoros Island, Ghana, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia, Yemen
Click here to download the PDF Visa Process.