Middle East University
Middle East University is a non-profit university located in Beirut, Lebanon, since 1939. It offers nine undergraduate degrees and six graduate degrees. Though small, it embraces students from more than 30 different nationalities, mainly from the Middle East and North Africa.
Read about our First Start-Up Competition
2nd MEU Start-Up Competition
This school year 2022-2023 Middle East University opens registrations for its 2nd Start-Up Competition.
Philosophy and Rationale
We aim to engage the powers of innovation and the magic of entrepreneurship with team synergy so we can endure through Lebanon’s challenging times by transforming an innovative idea into a sustainable real opportunity.
This innovation competition across and beyond MEU campus aims to integrate academic learning with the challenges of everyday reality. Each team proposes an area of expertise where they will grow their opportunity during the following 6 months in 3 phase stages of idea development after participating in 3 start-up coaching workshops. After each workshop teams will submit a deliverable document. Finally, teams will pitch their start-ups before a judging panel at the end of the Spring semester.
- Record in transcript as Entrepreneurship Practicum, zero credit (optional in Spring)
- Certificate of participation
- Prize awards for winner teams in University Students Track: 1st $600, 2nd $300, 3rd $100
- Prize awards for winner teams in High-School Students Track: 1st $300, 2nd $200, 3rd $100
- Coaching and business mentoring may be offered
- Seed funding may be offered
Track 1: University Students
Track 2: High-School Students
1) Send an email with the names of the team members to Dr. Philippe Zgheib at firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Pay the registration fee of US$ 20 per participant (only University Students Track)
- January 27, 2023 Registration Deadline
- January 27, 2023 Workshop 1 – Value Proposition
- February 24, 2023 Submission 1 – Business Model Matrix
- March 10, 2023 Workshop 2 – Sensitivity Analysis
- March 24, 2023 Submission 2 – Start-Up Proposition
- April 21, 2023 Workshop 3 – Oral Pitch Delivery
- May 3, 2023 Team Oral Contest
- May 10, 2023 Winners Certificates and Awards
Suggested Topics of Interest
|Social media filters
||Philosophy of ethics
Mentors & Sponsors
We are looking for mentors with experience in entrepreneurship who would be willing to support one of the teams on a pro-bono basis. Besides, we are looking for sponsors who would be willing to make a donation for the cash prizes. Donors from the US will receive a tax-deductible receipt. Please let us know if you would be interested in sponsoring our event and entrepreneurship in Lebanon. Contact us at email@example.com
Dr. Amy McHenry, Dr. Carlos Biaggi, Mr. Bassam Abdallah, Dr. Philippe Zgheib
The judging panel will be formed by 11 members: MEU faculty, MEU administration, MENA Union, ADRA, Business sponsor, Executive mentor, MEU Undergraduate student, MEU Graduate student, Undergraduate student outside MEU, Graduate student outside MEU, Event coordinator (MEU silent ex-officio).